Monday, September 15, 2008

Update on Ike

Well, it's been almost 72 hours since this hurricane came and devestated Houston and the surrounding areas. I'm lucky that I'm okay, and most of the people of the city of Houston and Glalveston are as well. What I can't even describe is the amount of damage done everywhere. I'm still without power and running water as of noon Monday, and I'm praying I have at least one of them back on when I get home from work today. I have some pictures that I'll upload as soon as I can of some of the destruction around my place. No damage was done to my place, except I do have some water damage to the ceiling and carpet in my spare bedroom (thank goodness my TV is perfect!). The actual night of the eye of Ike making landfall was scary, and yet amazing. You can never appreciate the power that mother-nature has until you are forced to face it head-on. The howl of the wind and the breaking of branches was enough to keep me up most of the night wondering if something was going to fly through the windown. And all the destruction.... wow. I also feel so detached from the world right now. Everyone in the country can see the destruction in Houston and Galveston, yet it's own residents can see nothing but their own neighborhood since the majority of us still have no power.

I'll post more as I find time at work and once I have some power back.

Thanks for all the calls and check ups. It makes me feel good to know that so many people are worried about me and everyone here.

No comments: